bike: 8.6 miles
swim: 2.72 miles/4 loops/4800 yards
lake nokomis open swim
Such choppy water! Big swells that messed up my stroke on the way to the little beach and then crashed into me on the way back to the big beach. Wasn’t into the swells that rolled in behind me, but I liked crashing into the short wall of waves. Fun! After one loop I thought the most that I would manage was 2 loops, but I just kept swimming. I’d take a break at the beach for 30 seconds and then start again. I’m wiped out, but it was great. I’m proud of myself for not stopping, not making excuses for why I shouldn’t swim another loop. Things I remember:
- The spray of the water, shooting up, as it hit a swimmer ahead of me.
- The silver shimmering of the over-turned rescue boat on the shore of the little beach.
- The lone duck swimming out in the middle of the lake.
- Not being able to see anything but a quick glimpse of an arm out of the water.
- Almost hitting the floating dock on my way into the big beach because I couldn’t see it until I was almost on top of it.
- Hearing a swimmer tell another swimmer that she saw something swimming below her out in the middle of the lake but just tried to ignore it.
- Feeling strong powerful tough as I swam straight into the waves without stopping