turkey hollow loop
Ran south on the river road trail, right above the river. I glanced at it a few times but wasn’t able to see anything specific–I know I was looking at the river, framed by trees, but I can’t say what color it was or whether or not it was shimmering. No turkeys in turkey hollow today.
5 Sounds I Heard As I Ran
- The repeated thud, sometimes dull, sometimes sharp, of acorns hitting the pavement on Edmund.
- The far off buzzing of a leaf blower or lawn mower or some type of machine.
- The electric buzz of cicadas, growing louder then softer then louder again.
- The roaring of a chainsaw, then the crack of a big branch hitting the ground.
- A biker approaching from behind, blasting opera music from the speaker of their bike.
A noisy morning with lots of buzzing. In the above list, I wanted to give straight description without judgment. Here’s a list with judgment:
Ranking of Sounds Heard on Run, from Least to Most Annoying
- Gently falling acorns onto the boulevard
- A cicada serenade
- Roaring chainsaws and cracking branches
- Relentlessly droning leaf blowers, buzzing in my brain
- Over-wrought opera singers ruining my calm, quiet mood
Speaking of buzzing, here is the first part of the new listen poem I started memorizing today:
Writing a Poem/ Shirley Geok-lin Lim
The air is buzzing. Some one near by
is operating a giant machine. He’s scrubbing
the just sold building with a high-
powered hose. None of us are listening,
although we are each hopeless before
the dizz-dizz-dizz. It it was a monstrous
radiated beetle, we couldn’t be more
helpless. It’s eating up the hours
as if they were the sweet nectar of day,
which they are. It is impossible
to think or write.
Noises While Running that I Feel Helpless to Avoid
- leaf blowers, lawn mowers, chainsaws
- howling wind
- a walker talking loudly into their phone
- a runner talking loudly to another runner
- a biker talking loudly to another biker
- a speeding motorcycle
- the shuffling footsteps of a runner, approaching too slowly
- a honking horn
Some days I want to listen more, other days I wish I could block out all of the noise.
Here’s a sound I’d like to identify. I heard this bird singing (or calling out) in my backyard yesterday afternoon. What is it?