river road trail, north/south
A birthday run with Scott. Beautiful out by the gorge. Greeted Dave, the daily walker as we ran through the Welcoming Oaks. Too busy talking about something to remember to notice running through the tunnel of trees or past the old stone steps or even under the lake street bridge. Running with Scott was great, but it was hard to notice much. Can I remember 10 things I noticed? I’ll try:
10 Things I Noticed
- a roller skier and their poles singing, click click click click
- a man talking on a bluetooth phone with his arm extended across the path pointing — at what?
- some blue jays whispering their screeches
- a few narrow streaks of blue river through the thick thatch of green
- faint voices of rowers talking below near the boathouse
- a runner on the path, accompanied by a young girl on a bike
- no memorial flowers at the trestle today
- the sweet rot of the sewer near the ravine
- the cracks in the asphalt just past the trestle bridge, remembering the peace sign spraypainted at this spot last summer
- the satisfying crunch of the sandy gravel under my feet as I ran on the side of the trail up to the greenway
Whew! I did it. The last 3 took some time to remember.