2 trails (long)*
dew point: 67
Another hot morning. Couldn’t go out for my run until after 10. Would it have mattered if I went earlier? Already at 7, it felt uncomfortably humid and warm. For much of the run, I was thinking about the lecture I’m working on for next week and trying to work through a problem. A little over a mile and a half in, part of a solution came to me. I stopped and recorded my thoughts.
10 Things I Noticed
- overheard: a neighbor saying to someone else as she watched me run by, “I’m sweating just watching her run.”
- a bike behind me, very slowly approaching. First, a bell, the sound of bike wheels, a little kid talking. Then, a woman with a young kid in a bike trailer, and another little kid on a bike behind her passed by
- at least 2 women chatting far behind me — were they on bikes? on foot? how soon would they reach me? Never saw or heard them again
- the steady buzzing/thumping of a jack hammer
- the coxswain speaking through a bullhorn to her rowers
- the rush of wind through the trees sounding like water falling or rushing or being forced out of a hose
- the trickle of water out of the sewer pipe near 42nd street
- even through all of the clouds, the sun cast shadows of the trees on the sidewalk…a strange, slightly muted, image
- looked for my usual view of light and water piercing through the leaves near the tunnel of trees. It’s not there this year — why not? more vegetation? the angle from which I looking?
- the little stones I stacked on the ancient boulder yesterday were gone. Did the wind blow them off? Did someone/something knock them over? Were they there and I just didn’t see them?