douglas trail / rochester, mn
67 / humidity: 81%
Ran with Scott this morning on the Douglas trail, right next to his parent’s new apartment in Rochester. A great path! Mostly shaded, off road, smooth. Heard some birds I didn’t recognize; they were very bird-y, meaning their chirps and trills seemed to embody the classic form of a bird. It had rained earlier, and there were puddles on the road and moisture in the air.
10 Things I Encountered
- a short pedestrian bridge, crossing over a road, at the start of our run
- a long pedestrian bridge, arching over a highway
- a helmet-less biker, one hand carrying a small cooler
- a fast walker
- a speedy runner with long, loping limbs
- an adult biker, whose on your left from behind sounded like a little kid’s
- only one small, empty road to cross
- a runner approaching, listening to music — it was either loud music coming out of headphones, or soft music coming from a speaker
- 2 guys, dressed in business casual, walking on the other side of the trail
- the parking lot at the trailhead, which included: a big sign with a map of the trail, 2 bathrooms, a picnic trail tucked behind a tree, lots of lush grass
breaklight/ lucille clifton
light keeps on breaking.
i keep knowing
the language of other nations.
i keep hearing
and i keep knowing what they mean.
and light just keeps on breaking.
the fears of my mother came
knocking and when i
opened the door
they tried to explain themselves
and i understood
everything they said.
this poem! tree talk, water words! so wonderful!