hidden falls / confluence
Loved the weather this morning! Hardly any wind, not too bright, not too cold. Scott and I drove over to a parking lot near Highland Bridge and ran beside the Mississippi River past Hidden Falls to the confluence where the Minnesota and Mississippi rivers meet. Wow! Such soft, sweeping views! Heard lots of chickadees (chick a dee dee dee) and ran up and down lots of little hills.
- a cracked rutted cratered trail
- steps leading down to a bridge across the river — something to try next time!
- empty benches on the edge
- a recently re-painted parking lot below the confluence with jaunty arrows on the pavements — I said they looked like they were italicized
- the tops of the bare branches looked fuzzy and soft and gray
- 2 rivers curving around an island
- more white sand than usual — the river is low
- running through Highland bridge, I could hear a dog relentlessly barking at the dog park
- hidden falls was steadily flowing down limestone and concrete ledges
- a few slick, icy spots on the bridge
- geese! A gaggle of geese on the edge of the trail, only the final one acknowledged our presence with a sharp honk — no hiss, thankfully